Sunday, March 6, 2011

Number 1 Seeds

Interesting week, huh?

I don't like to digress from sports, but what the heck is wrong with BYU?  Yes, yes, yes, I know they have an honor code, but punishing a college player for having pre-marital sex?  I've watched a few episodes of "Big Love" and those people commit more acts of perversity in a day than most people do in a lifetime.  But seriously, a culture with a tradition of polygamy worried about college athletes having sex and having the "audacity" to lie about it?  Maybe it's none of anyone's business what you do as a consensual adult.  However, it is a Mormon school.  Davies should have been smart and married his girlfriend and 7 other women (on the sly, as polygamy is illegal...wink).  What was he thinking?  I feel for the kid.

It's obviously a blow for BYU to lose a starter, especially because they're not a particularly deep team even with Davies in the rotation.  The Cougars aren't rebounding animals, and they just lost their top rebounder.  What do you say as their coach?  How about, "Okay, Jimmer...I'm gonna need you to drop an additional 15 points per game and shoot better while you do it, because we can't out rebound a high school team now."
It is safe to say that BYU will not receive a number 1 seed after having lost this week (duh).  It's a shame for the program, because not many people would have complained if they had not lost this week, ran that conference tourney, and received a number 1 seed. 

Ohio State is an obvious lock for the number 1 seed even if they lose in the Big 10 Tourney.  They crushed Wisconsin today.  Kansas is a lock at this point, too.  Pitt and Duke are right there, because other teams that could have made a case (i.e., Texas and BYU) played themselves out of it.  In short, the conference tourneys could vault a couple of teams.  One thing that interests me is UNC.  If they win the ACC Tourney and beat Duke again in the process, does that take away a number 1 seed for the ACC?  If I'm Notre Dame, and I win the Big East Tourney over Pitt and the other teams in that gauntlet league, and UNC wins the ACC, I would be pissed if I didn't get the 4th number 1 seed, especially since Catholics aren't polygamists anymore.  (Rimshot!)

I love parity.  It will kill my bracket in all likelihood, but I will not complain.

No comments:

Post a Comment