Monday, March 21, 2011

The First Weekend

As predicted, I got creamed on my bracket.  Louisville was one of my Final Four teams.  I had Pitt winning it all.  It's funny, because I had the VCU/USC winner into the Sweet Sixteen, but I assumed USC would beat VCU, who I didn't think belonged in the Tournament.  The closest I came to a good call was saying Florida State could give Notre Dame problems.  Of course, I picked Notre Dame to advance.  So I'm left with 8 out of 16.  President Obama is beating me.  Sad.

I'm really interested in the Wisconsin v Butler game.  Both teams are very well coached, and they can both shoot from deep.  Florida State v VCU is intriguing as well.  I was impressed at how VCU blew Purdue's door's off, putting up over 50 in the 2nd half.  This week will be different for the Rams, though.  VCU will not get any easy transition hoops against Florida State, so they need to get creative if they expect to score.  I don't expect Florida State to shoot as well as they did against Notre Dame, so I expect VCU will be able to keep it close. 

Ohio State looks unbeatable.  The only thing that can keep them from the Final Four is UNC.  That has the makings of a great game if they both win in the next round.  

On the other side of the bracket, Kansas' athletic ability came through against Illinois.  As is typical of the Jayhawks, they shot over 50% in the game.  Bill Self's team understands when to push the ball and when to back off and run their half court sets.  Their shot selection is phenomenal.

No comments:

Post a Comment